The Owosso Building Board of Appeals consists of five individuals with qualifications and experience in several building trades. Their purpose is to decide matters purely on their technical merits with due regard for state-of-the-art construction technology.
An interested person has the right to appeal a decision of the enforcing agency to the Board of Appeals. An application for appeal shall be based on a claim that the true intent of the code or the rules governing construction have been incorrectly interpreted, the provisions of the code do not apply, or an equal or better form of construction is being proposed.
The Owosso Building Board of Appeals shall hold its regular monthly meetings on the fourth Thursday of each month when there are appeals to consider. Special meetings may be called by the Chairman with prior notice to each Board Member of the meeting’s purpose and date; such notice must be made at least five (5) days in advance of the meeting.
The Owosso Building Board of Appeals Procedures are:
- Call Board Members to arrange a meeting date (Standing Rules: 1. The Building Board of Appeals shall hold its regular monthly meetings on the fourth Thursday of each month when there are appeals to consider. 2. All meetings of the Board shall begin at 8:30 am.)
- A registered letter is sent to the property owner with the date of the meeting.
- An agenda should be sent to the Board members on the meeting at least 3 days before the meeting. This would also serve as a reminder of the meeting.
- Minutes are typed and signed by the chairman. Copy of the minutes are put in each Board Members file.
- A Notice and Order will be sent to the property owner verifying the find and the steps that will be taken. This should be sent certified.
- A copy of the minutes and order shall be sent to Council.