For Immediate Release June 10, 2019
Voluntary water restrictions Monday June 10th through Wednesday June 21st
The City of Owosso is requesting city residents, the Charter Townships of Owosso and Caledonia water customers, and the city of Corunna to undertake voluntary efforts to reduce water consumption during the period of June 10, 2019 thru June 21, 2019. The Filtration Plant will be shutting down one of two water softening treatment clarifiers, and operating on one clarifier during this period of time. This temporary shutdown of process equipment is necessary to complete scheduled maintenance.
The City of Owosso will continue to pump softened water into the distribution from the operating plant and from storage tank reserves during this temporary shutdown. However, in the event the treatment plant and water storage reserves are unable to keep pace with the increasing seasonal demands on the system, the city of Owosso would then be required to pump a limited percentage of non-softened water into the distribution system. The city of Owosso is requesting all regional water users to implement the following voluntary water conservation measures immediately:
· Please repair any known leaks or faulty toilets, appliances, or faucets.
· Limit watering of outdoor plants, gardens and yards to less than thirty minutes every other day.
· Avoid the use of water to wash any motorbike, motor vehicle, boat, trailer, or other vehicle, except at a commercial self-contained washing facility, or unless required as in the case of commercial trucks and equipment.
· Avoid or limit use of water to wash down any sidewalks, walkways, driveways, parking lots, or other hard-surfaced areas or structures.
· Avoid or limit use of water to fill, refill or add to any swimming pools or jacuzzi pools.
· Avoid opening of fire hydrants during this period except for firefighting.
· Avoid flow testing or fire systems tests during this time period.
· Avoid construction work involving the filling and flushing of mains during this time period.
Water customers can also help to conserve water by ensuring that their dishwashers and clothes washers are used to wash full loads. Even small efforts, such as turning off the water while brushing your teeth can be of help.
The City appreciates customer support for this temporary and voluntary water conservation period.
Glenn M. Chinavare
Director of Public Services & Utilities